Fire erupts at popular Hickory Hills banquet hall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Firefighters in south suburban Hickory Hills were called to a large fire at the Camelot banquet hall early this morning.

The early morning fire and smoke could be seen from miles away, as the building  on 95th St burned around 4:30 a.m. Fire crews worked to contain and knock out the flames of this family owned, family run business.

Irene Jordan, whose family owns the business, say she a Hickory Hills police officer, Ryan Bajt, thought someone might be inside and went into action.

“He knew they stay here a lot on times on Saturday night.  And the owners were up in the office sleeping and he alerted them and got them out,” said Walter Sherman, battalion chief Roberts Park Fire Dist.

“We had a lot of parties yesterday and we stay late to set up for the morning parties today,” said Jordan. “My sisters usually stay here just to be here in the morning.  Thank God someone called.”

No one was killed or injured but the fire, which they believe began in the kitchen area, gutted the entire building.

As the family works to rebuild and rebook their clients into other venues for now, the fact nobody was hurt is the one blessing this Mother’s Day.

“You feel for the owners and the workers,” said Sherman.  “It’s their livelihood.  They have a good business and they’re going to be out of business for quite some time.”