Grilling incident almost kills woman

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A barbeque sent a Puyallup, Washington, woman to the hospital, but it wasn’t the food that was the problem.

tammy johnson

Photo: KCPQ

After Tammy Johnson had a day of severe abdominal pain, hospital doctors discovered that a tiny wire from a brush used to clean the grill had punctured her intestine. She underwent emergency surgery, but her intestines later shut down after an infection and she almost died.

“It’s been very scary,” Johnson told KCPQ. “Something like this happens and you think I just want to see tomorrow.”

Johnson is still in quarantine after two weeks since she swallowed the wire.

This was not a freak accident; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned the public about this risk in 2012 after six similar cases in a one-year period at a single hospital.

“The severity of injury ranged from puncture of the soft tissues of the neck, causing severe pain on swallowing, to perforation of the gastrointestinal tract requiring emergency surgery,” according to the CDC report.

The CDC advised grillers to clean their grills another way or to carefully examine the grilling surface before cooking.

Read more from the original story at KCPQ.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.