High carbon monoxide levels at South Austin church send 7 kids to the hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — High carbon monoxide levels at a South Austin church sent 10 people to the hospital Sunday, including seven children, according to officials with the Chicago Fire Department.

Firefighters responding to a call of sick children at the Bethel Apostolic Church at 5433 W. Jackson Blvd. around 2:21 p.m. found high levels of carbon monoxide in the building, officials said. After investigating, firefighters discovered the building’s boiler was the source of the carbon monoxide and shut it off.

CFD Deputy District Chief Jack Nagle said they found carbon monoxide levels of 300 ppm inside the church. Prolonged exposure at that level can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, with symptoms including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and generally feeling sick.

All 10 people transported to area hospitals were in “good condition,” according to Assistant Deputy Chief Paramedic Keith Gray.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.