Grandfather dies days after saving 7-year-old grandson from house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — A man who saved his grandson from a house fire has died from injuries he suffered in the fire.

The fire broke out Sept. 9 in a coach house at 100th St. and Avenue L on the city’s Southeast Side.

As the flames and thick smoke filled the home, 69-year-old Apolonia Castellano removed a window and dropped his 7-year-old grandson into the hands of two police officers

The boy was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation and stabilized.

Castellano had been hospitalized since the fire with severe burns and smoke inhalation.

Investigators say the fire was started accidentally.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.