Man with paraplegia rescued from house fire in Englewood

Data pix.

CHICAGO -- A man with paraplegia was rescued from a building fire on Chicago's South Side.

The fire started just before 2 a.m. Monday on the second-floor of a building in the 6900 block of South Parnell Avenue in the Englewood neighborhood.

37-year-old Dante Copeland was wrapped in blankets and carried out from the basement of the building to safety by firefighters.

Firefighters believe Copeland was burned on his chest during the rescue.

His mother said he uses a wheelchair, and was paralyzed from the waist down after being shot.

Copeland was transported to St. Bernard Hospital for treatment.

A family of seven, that includes Copeland and two young boys, have been displaced. Red Cross is assisting the family.

No other injuries were reported.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.