Man, 32, held without bond in violent Sleepy Hollow attacks

Data pix.

SLEEPY HOLLOW, Ill. — A man facing 26 felony counts was held without bond after a home invasion and stabbing spree on Monday in Sleepy Hollow.

Prosecutors in Kane County have charged 32-year-old Fabian Torres with:

  • Attempted murder, Class X felony, 2 counts
  • Aggravated criminal sexual assault, Class X felony, 4 counts
  • Home invasion, Class X felony, 8 counts
  • Armed violence, Class X felony, 2 counts
  • Attempted aggravated kidnapping, Class 1 felony, 2 counts
  • Aggravated battery, Class 3 felony, 4 counts
  • Aggravated unlawful restraint, Class 3 felony, 4 counts

According to police, Torres is a resident of the area who has a criminal record and a history of mental illness.

Prosecutors said he was captured on a Ring doorbell video system committing a home invasion on Monday, not far from where he was staying with his aunt and uncle on Saratoga Parkway.

The attack was allegedly planned. Torres was armed with at least one knife, and had a black bag which contained: rope, duck tape, pepper spray, and other items of a sexual nature.

According to police, Torres entered a neighbor's home through an unlocked front door and sexually assaulted a 19-year-old woman before stabbing her and her 17-year-old brother. Both managed to escape, but suffered significant stab wounds. Both teens remain hospitalized and are expected to recover.

Authorities said the 17-year-old brother who confronted the suspect, likely prevented a more serious attack.

Police said Torres then fled to a neighboring home, covered in blood and carrying two butcher knives, where he terrorized two other people. Julian Riedl, a Sleepy-Hollow resident, came face-to-face with Torres after the violent attack on the teens. He said Torres held his mother at knifepoint.

In all, there were six separate crime scenes, including the one where police shocked him with a Taser stun gun and arrested the man.

Torres was the same man who threw a Molotov cocktail into a packed grocery store in Algonquin in 2011. He pleaded guilty but mentally ill and was sentenced to 15 years with an early release.

Torres was paroled last October for attempted aggravated arson.

Torres was denied bond. His next court date is scheduled for April 17.

If convicted of all charges, he faces a minimum of 74 years in prison.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.